Tatum Komenda, PA-C
Meet Tatum Komenda, PA-C
Tatum is a board-certified Physician Assistant who completed her Master's degree at A.T. Still University in Mesa, Arizona. She is a native to Arizona and grew up in Gilbert, AZ. She completed her undergraduate education at Brigham Young University with a Bachelor's in Neuroscience. After completing PA school, Tatum decided to stay and practice in Arizona and joined Desert Orthopedics Center. Prior to PA school, Tatum knew she wanted to work in orthopedics through her experience in physical therapy helping orthopedic patients meet their health goals. She is excited to continue her passion of orthopedics by providing quality care to her patients. She is thrilled to be a part of the Desert Orthopedic Center team and excited to work directly with her patients on achieving their goals.
In her free time, Tatum enjoys spending time with her husband and cat named Gandalf. She is very passionate about health and fitness and enjoys outdoor activities including biking, hiking, and getting to explore the beautiful state of Arizona.
A.T. Still University, Mesa, AZ,
Physician Assistant ProgramM.S., Physician Assistant Studies Overall GPA 3.93 2021 -2023
Master’s Capstone Project
FoodRx: Utilizing Food Prescription Programs in Albany Area Primary Health Care (AAPHC): a program providing fresh produce to underserved patients with Diabetes Mellitus Type II. I established relationships with local community farmers and coordinated the delivery of produce while educating patients on the importance of nutrition through a monthly diabetes wellness class. The success of the project has brought awareness to other local medical facilities and is being replicated by Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital and its affiliated clinics.
Behavioral Health: AAPHC Renaissance Center, 6 weeks
Family Medicine: AAPHC Edison, GA Clinic, 6 weeks
Pediatrics: AAPHC School-Based Clinics, 6 weeks
Internal Medicine: AAPHC Hotz-Scoggins Clinic, 6 weeks
General Surgery: Crisp Regional Hospital, 6 weeks
Orthopedic Surgery: Mayo Clinic Hospital, 6 weeks
- 3 weeks Sports Medicine
- 1weeks Foot and Ankle Surgery
- 1 week Hand and Wrist Surgery
- 1 week Total Joint Reconstruction
Emergency Medicine: Crisp Regional Hospital, 6 weeks Women’s Health: Veranda Medical Group, 6 weeks
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
Bachelor of Science, Neuroscience, May 2020 Overall GPA 3.66 2016 - 2020
Licenses and Certifications
- 2023 National Physician Assistant License - National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- 2021-2023, Advanced Cardiac Life Support Provider
- 2021-2024, Basic Life Support Provider
- 2021, Crisis Prevention Institute Training
- American Academy of Physician Associates, Student Member
- Arizona State Association of Physician Assistants, Student Member
PALs Tutor A.T. Still University Mesa, AZ • Assist first-year PA students with understanding and conceptualizing didactic year material.
- Guide students towards successful learning of course content through effective study methods and strategies.
2022 - 2023
Physical Therapy Barrow Brain and Spine Ahwatukee, AZ Technician
- Provided therapy modalities for patient’s injuries including ultrasound, electrical stimulation, heat/ice therapy, and lumbar/cervical traction.
- Supervised and educated patients on treatment and exercise plans, proper techniques, and the purpose of assigned exercises in regard to their diagnosis.
- Assisted physical therapist in advanced treatment plans and modalities including cupping and dry needling.
2020 - 2021
Research Assistant Brigham Young University Provo, UT Lab Leader Cognitive Development Lab
- Oversaw 10-20 research assistants within the Cognitive Development Lab.
- Ran the mTBI in Adolescents lab alongside Dr. Lundwall
- Received advanced training to run BYU’s MRI Machine and scan participants.
- Assisted in administering and explaining cognitive testing to participants.
Physical Therapy FYZICAL Therapy and Balance Centers Provo, UT Technician
- Helped educate patients on exercise plans, proper technique, and body mindfulness in regards to their diagnosis.
- Assisted physical therapist in sport injury treatments as well as vestibular/balance treatment plans.
- Treated patients with multiple modalities including ultrasound, electrical stimulation, heat/ice therapy, and massage therapy.
Awards and Recognitions
- A.T. Still University, 2023 DPAS Professionalism Award
In recognition of strong student leadership throughout the PA program
- A.T. Still University, 2023 DPAS Service Award
In recognition of a commitment to meet the mission of the PA program
Volunteer Work and Community Service
- Utah State Hospital
Pediatric Unit Mentor - Mentored a 10 year old girl making the transition to inpatient mental health treatment. Visited once a week and participated in games, field trips, and every day activities including dinner and lunch. Helped be a friend to my mentee as well as the other patients in the pediatric unit.
- BYU COVID Tutoring
Math Tutor- Helped high school students with various math subjects including trigonometry, algebra, and calculus. Zoomed students 1-2x a week over the summer of 2020.
- BYU Adaptive Aquatics
Student Volunteer- Participated in recreational games and activities with special needs adults. Helped assist with swim time and regulate safety protocols.
- TOPS 2022
Student Volunteer- Provided school sport physicals and medical screenings for high school students across the Phoenix region.
- Mission of Mercy
Triage Member - Attained vitals and reviewed medical history to help screen patients for free dental care.